Monday, November 2, 2009

Family Ties.

I have come to realize the importance of family. When I really reflect, I would be in an extremely bad way if I didn't have the family that I do.
I appreciate my family more now, as a teenager, than I did when I was younger. I can better see what they did for me, what they do for me still. I could never imagine what it is like for people who's families walk out on them. I don't know how they cope, or live day to day, for that matter.

My immediate family was divided in a rather bad divorce. I saw it coming for an extremely long time, yet that didn't soften the blow at all. Once the dust had settled, however, it was so much better. It was quieter, people were happier. When my mother started dating, however, I took it less than well. I had never seen my father often, even when my parents were married, so to see him with someone else didn't bother me much. I've always been very attached to my mother however, and I'll be the first to admit it. It took me a long time to accept anyone outside the sanctity and safety of what we had.

Once I did, I realized how fortunate I was. Nothing could have weakened love in our family. The seperation only strengthened loyalty and affection on both sides. I wouldn't wish the ordeal on anyone, of course. Since it's all happened I've developed trichotillomania and a mild anxiety disorder, but that, too, is aided and soothed by family.

Illness has strengthened our bond, too. I always loved my grandmother, but since she had breast cancer I realized just how strong-willed and determined she is, and I hope to be half as perseverant as her someday. I feel the same about my aunt since her thyroid cancer, not to mention the impressive amount of weight she's lost all on her own.

After my great-grandmothers death on my father's side, I remember how we all came together, even my family from B.C., for the funeral, and for dinner afterwards. I remember how strong I felt then, too. The love is everlasting.

Never take anyone who loves you unconditionally for granted.

No comments: