Sunday, November 15, 2009

Burlesque Is Rather Interesting.

















There's something I've been researching a little more lately. I've always been interested in it. I figure I might as well post about it. I haven't blogged in a long while.
Strippers are not always attractive. Many of them are really, really thin, and sickly looking. They put no effort into their hair, and the clothing is never spectacular. The routine is the same old thing. The pole, every time. And they come out nearly naked. There's no teasing, there's nothing about it that makes them stand out. Nothing makes them a performer, a seductress. And may I just mention again that they have no body? They always look sick.
But, have you ever seen a burlesque dancer? They're gorgeous. The routine is a performance. There's so much effort. The clothing is amazing. I absolutely adore vintage lingerie and swimsuits. It's like a moving pin-up girl with attitude. And the bodies. I have seen burlesque dancers in every single size. To see someone who represents something sexual that actually has a figure is refreshing. Some of them are tall, some are short. Some have tattoos and piercings. It's amazing.

I don't go to school dressed like a pin-up, obviously. I don't do my hair and if anything, I kind of dress like a burnout sometimes. Whenever I've had to do an essay or answer a question on my future, I've never mentioned burlesque, of course. However, it's been a secret aspiration of mine for a very long time. I've always especially admired Dita Von Teese. She's one of the smaller performers in the industry, but she's still fabulous. She always loved vintage fashion, and worked at a strip club when she was young. She was sorely dissapointed in the routines, and in how they dressed and acted. I feel the same. Some routines are better done than others, and in the end it is stripping, but it's the build up, the performance. It's admirable, it's really performing. Stripping is kind of sleazy, burlesque is an art.


















No comments: